USCIS Extends Premium Processing to Certain Student Visa Applications
- USCIS will allow premium processing for applicants filing change of status applications to F-1, M-1, and J-1 nonimmigrant status.
- Beginning June 13, 2023, USCIS will allow paper and online filing of premium processing to be applied to pending F-1, M-1, and J-1 change of status applications.
- Beginning June 26, 2023, USCIS will accept paper and online filing of premium processing along with initial F-1, M-1, and J-1 change of status applications.
- USCIS will only apply premium processing after an applicant’s biometrics have been captured.
Supreme Court Upholds Biden Administration’s Removal Priorities
- Rejecting challenges from Texas and Louisiana, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the executive branch’s discretionary authority over enforcement actions, here regarding the Biden administration’s 2021 immigration policy prioritizing the removal of those who pose a threat to national security, public safety, and border security.
Homeland Security Rescinds Terminations of and Extends TPS for El Salvador, Nicaragua, Nepal, and Honduras
- The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) rescinded the Trump administration’s termination of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for El Salvador, Nicaragua, Nepal, and Honduras and implemented extensions for all four countries for 18 months
Canada Seeks H-1B Workers with New Immigration Options
- Canada is addressing frustrated H-1B workers with four new immigration policies that seek to attract highly skilled workers.
- The new policies include an Innovation Stream under the International Mobility Program to attract highly talented individuals; allowing digital nomads as visitors to work in Canada for foreign employers for up to six months; a streamlined work permit for H-1B visa holders to apply to come to Canada; and improving existing programs that cater to workers in high-skill tech occupations.